WARNING - The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development does not charge a fee to file an unemployment insurance claim. Anyone who visits a website that charges a fee for processing an unemployment claim should immediately exit that site before providing any confidential information.
Before unemployment benefits can be paid to you, you must file a claim. To file your new claim or reopen an existing claim online you must meet all of the following requirements.
- All of your work was in New Jersey in the past 18 months;
- You did not work for the federal government in the past 18 months;
- You did not serve in the military in the past 18 months;
- You did not work as a maritime employee in the past 18 months;
- You do not reside outside the United States.
If you meet each of these requirements, we encourage you to file your unemployment claim online at www.njuifile.net. If you do not meet the requirements you must file your claim by telephone.
To file your claim, please have the following available:
- Pencil/pen and paper.
- Your Social Security Number.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need your Alien Registration Documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This includes your alien registration type and number, country of origin, name, and your Employment Authorization Card or Permanent Resident Card if authorized to work in the United States.
- If you wish to have your benefits directly deposited to your bank, your bank information.
- Employer information on all employer(s) in the last 18 months including: name, address, telephone number, beginning and end dates of employment, and reason for separation.
- A New Jersey driver's license or Non-Driver Photo Identification Card. Note: This is not a requirement for filing a claim, but can help to expedite processing.
Please be advised that if your computer is idle for 30 minutes or more, your session will "time out" and all of your claim information will be lost. If you exit for any reason before completing the application, all of your information will be lost.
The information you submit is confidential. The online application uses a secure connection to encrypt the data you submit.
Please note that www.njuifile.net is used for filing a new unemployment claim, reopening a claim (excluding an extended benefits claim) or claiming weekly benefits. It cannot be used to contact the agency. If you have a question about your claim or about unemployment insurance, you may contact us by email, FAX or mail. Our office hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).
FAX: (609) 633-2884
Technical Support Unit
Please provide the following information in your correspondence:
- Phone Number Where You Can Be Reached
- Email Address
- Last 4 Digits of Your SSN or Your Full Claimant ID
- Brief Description of the Issue