Apr-18-11 Labor Department Expands Debit Card Program to Include Temporary Disability and Family Leave Insurance Benefits
The department first issued debit cards for Unemployment Insurance benefits last November. By the end of March 2011, all unemployment insurance claimants were receiving their benefits electronically through either a debit card or direct deposit to a bank account.
Now, TDI and FLI claimants will move to electronic delivery of benefits.Injured workers and workers caring for seriously ill family members or bonding with newborn babies will have direct access to benefit payments. They no longer have to wait for the mail or pay check cashing fees.
“Debit cards are a fast and secure way to access your money and we’re pleased to offer this service to our Temporary Disability and Family Leave Insurance claimants,” said Commissioner Harold J. Wirths.
New TDI and FLI claims will be paid by debit card as of today, April 18, 2011.Direct deposit to a bank account is not available; however, TDI and FLI claimants may use their new debit cards to make online electronic transfers to the bank account of their choice through the card issuer, Bank of America.
The new debit card extends the same card advantages to TDI and FLI claimants as provided to Unemployment Insurance claimants, including:
- No fees for purchases from merchants that accept Visa debit cards
- No fees for ATM withdrawals at domestic Bank of America ATMs
- Two no fee ATM withdrawals per month at non-Bank of America ATMs
- Unlimited, no fee teller cash access at any bank or credit union that accepts Visa
- Unlimited, no fee balance inquiries at ATMs and online customer service at www.bankofamerica.com/cashpay or by calling Bank of America customer service at 1-866-213-4074
- Unlimited automated and live customer service inquiries
Additionally, claimants can use their new debit card to pay bills with businesses that accept Visa for payments. The debit card will not allow overdrafts of the funds, avoiding overdraft charges.
More information on TDI and FLI compensation delivered through debit cards and direct deposit can be found on the Department of Labor homepage at www.nj.gov/labor.