PEOSH On-Site Consultation
The Department of Labor and Workforce Development offers occupational safety consultations to assess safety management systems, identify hazards and provide training to help you prevent accidents, injuries, and fatalities. These consultations are free to public employers in New Jersey and are a prerequisite to requesting training. Establishments with low rates of injuries and illnesses may even qualify for a safety recognition award.
A PEOSH consultation is a confidential service that is completely separate from PEOSH enforcement; consultants do not issue citations or impose penalties. However, an employer is obligated to correct serious hazards that the consultant finds, within a mutually agreeable time frame.
- Take action to protect your employees if any serious hazardous conditions are identified.
- Allow the highest-ranking union official to participate in the visit.
- Allow the consultant to interview individual employees privately.
Employer's Rights and Obligations
- An employer may terminate the consultation at any time.
- Consultation is a confidential service. PEOSH enforcement officers do not have the right to see workplace information obtained from a consultation visit.
- An employer may disagree with the schedule to correct violations.
Steps of an On-Site Consultation
- Employer Requests Consultation
- Consultant Provides Report
- Employer Posts List of Hazards
- Employer Corrects Hazards
- Follow-Up: Consultant and Employer
- Training for Employer and Employee
To schedule a PEOSH Safety Consultation, please call (609) 633-2587.